Visual Factory Definition
Visual Factory is an operational philosophy based on fast absorption of information through highly visible mean allowing you to make effective decisions.
In simple words it means: Organize, Standardize, Communicate.
It can be seen as an integral part of the 5S Program.
- Visual layout
- Production control boards
- Shadow boards
- Color coded bins for scrap, rework
- Horns, lights, information display boards
- Inventory control cards (kanban cards)
- Workstations identified
- Exit and caution signs, fire extinguishers, emergency procedures visible
- Part racks and drop areas identified
- Lines to distinguish work areas, aisles
- Containers labeled and accessible
- Equipment operating procedures visible
- TPM charts display maintenance of machinery
- Quality check sheets and productivity data sheets filled out
- Operation standards and process flow mapped out at each station
- Process control boards visible and updated
There are many more applications you can think of.