The Cell Layout Simulation Game (a Factory Simulation Game) is one of the top simulation games and brings your team together to learn by playing. It uses standard building blocks, which are sold separately, as the Cell Layout building blocks kit.
This simulation is supported by the Cellular Layout Presentation. We strongly recommend that they are used together during the training session, because this way your team can experience the true power of what they’ve learned.
Briefly, the goals of the Cellular Manufacturing System are that the material is not stagnant at any time (from beginning of process through to the end); people move with the material; the product moves smoothly through the process.
It is achieved by:
- Reorganizing or redesigning the process steps or cells
- Purchasing additional and/or removing unnecessary equipment
- Changing and/or standardizing tooling and fixtures
- Having a material execution plan to support the flow process
Just learning the concepts is not enough to feel a deep sense of understanding. By actively experimenting and applying what they’ve learned, in the safe environment of the classroom, yet being able to make mistakes and truly learn what works and what not, the team engages in a new way of Lean thinking that will be very beneficial at the moment when they will actually perform the workshop and put in practice, in the real workplace, what they’ve learned.
Company Name: Space Robotics Corp.
- Traditional manufacturing set-up
- Produces multiple types of robots, however their Model N robot has very stable demand
- Has large work in process inventories
- Suffers from excess handling damage because too many components are moved too often, and excess handling of finished batches of robots.
- Their goal is to reduce handling damage, WIP, and be able to produce finished robots JIT with customer demand
How will they manage to change their way of thinking and improve their operational effectiveness?
There’s one way to discover this: Get in the game!
The game is designed for groups of 7-8 people. If you have more players, just buy more Mega Bloks (micro blocks) or Lego pieces and use the same instructions. It can be seen as a competition between teams.
The purpose of the game is to prove the benefits of implementing Cell Layout in your organization, instead of just straight-line assembly, or departmental/batch production by playing 3 rounds (assembling robots from blocks):
- Departmental/Batch Production
- Straight-line Layout Production
- Cell Layout Production
- Introduction of the Cell Layout simulation Game
- Set Batch Production
- Play Round 1
- Apply Straight-line Layout (Raw Material Roller Racks, Min/Max levels)
- Play Round 2
- Apply the Cell Layout technique (Raw Material Roller Racks, Min/Max levels) and Operator Counter Flow
- Play Round 3
- Discussions based on Results
- Cell Layout Simulation Game (slides)
- Trainer Manual (footnotes that explain each slide)
- Trainee Manual (presentation slides and space for notes)
- Cell layout
- Operator Work Instructions
- Printable data sheet
Please note: If you already have building blocks or intend to purchase the blocks yourself, please click here for a list of parts required.
The simulation game comes as a downloadable zip file, available upon payment. Includes uneditable PDF and PowerPoint (2007-10) versions of presentation and supporting PDF files.