The Poka Yoke Game is one of the top simulation games and brings your team together to learn by playing. It uses standard building blocks, which are sold separately, as the Poka Yoke building blocks kit.
This simulation is supported by the Error Proofing (Poka Yoke) Presentation. We strongly recommend that they are used together during the training session, because this way your team can experience the true power of what they’ve learned.
Briefly, Error Proofing and Mistake Proofing are techniques that help operators avoid mistakes in their work caused by choosing the wrong part, leaving out a part, installing a part backwards, etc.
It involves the implementation of fail-safe ways methods that detect or prevent human and machine error at or near the source.
It provides instant feedback and prevention of quality problems.
Just learning the concepts is not enough to feel a deep sense of understanding. By actively experimenting and applying what they’ve learned, in the safe environment of the classroom, yet being able to make mistakes and truly learn what works and what not, the team engages in a new way of Lean thinking that will be very beneficial at the moment when they will actually perform the workshop and put in practice, in the real workplace, what they’ve learned.
Company Name: Astro Electronics Company
- Traditional manufacturing set-up
- Produces a poor quality product
- Quality is checked at final inspection
- Operations – no error/mistake proofing
- Has rework loop
- Has negotiated a new contract and it must improve their operations, to be able to produce only good parts with no rework loop
How will they manage to change their way of thinking and improve their operational effectiveness?
There’s one way to discover this: Get in the Poka Yoke game!
The Poka Yoke game is designed for groups of 6-8 people. If you have more players, just buy more Mega Bloks (micro blocks) or Lego pieces and use the same instructions. It can be seen as a competition between teams.
The purpose of the game is to prove the benefits of using Poka-Yoke or error proof devices in your operations.
By playing two rounds (assembling gadgets from Lego, before and after implementing Poka Yoke and in-station quality checks) we will demonstrate how we can increase the quality levels while using even a smaller number of people
- Introduction of the Poka Yoke Simulation
- Operations Description
- Play Rules
- Data Collection
- Widget Assembly Picture, BOM
- Play Round 1 – Mass Production
- Work cell layout, Assembly Visual Aids for every station, Various options for errors
- Final Inspection Gauge Assembly Instructions
- Collect Data
- Play Round 2 – Lean Production (In-Station Quality Gauge)
- New Work Layout, Assembly Visual Aids
- In-Station Gauge Specs
- Collect Data
- Discussions based on Results
- Poka Yoke Game (slides)
- Trainer Manual (footnotes that explain each slide)
- Trainee Manual (presentation slides and space for notes)
- Cell layout
- Operator Work Instructions
- Printable data sheet
Please note: If you already have building blocks or intend to purchase the blocks yourself, please click here for a list of parts required.
The simulation game comes as a downloadable zip file, available upon payment. Includes uneditable PDF and PowerPoint (2007-10) versions of presentation and supporting PDF files.